Culinary Mysteries


 I love food and I also love mystery novels. I’ve always wanted to go to one of those murder mystery dinner theater shows. But until I do I’m content to read culinary mysteries. Some of these mysteries are more literary than others but all of them are fun.

A couple of years ago I got totally into Nadia Gordon’s, Sunny McCoskey Napa Valley mystery series. While I enjoy the mystery in the books I also look forward to hearing what chef and restaurant owner, Sunny, will be featuring on her weekly menu at her restaurant Wildside.

Although very different from Gordon’s series, Joanna Fluke’s Hannah Swensen mystery series is fun too. I love the recipes mixed in with the story. Sometimes I will pick up her books and flip through not for the story but for the yummy recipes.

Right now I’m reading On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle. This cozy mystery is the first in Coyle’s Coffee House Mystery series.

Here are some culinary mysteries I haven’t read, but they are on my to-read list:

Susan Wittig Albert’s China Bayles mysteries
JoAnna Carl’s Chocoholic series
Laura Child’s Tea Shop Mysteries
Diane Mott Davidson’s Goldy B. Schulz mysteries
Peter King’s Gourmet Detective series
G.A. McKevett’s Savannah Reid mysteries

I’m probably leaving out some great authors. Comment on this post if you’d like to recommend a culinary mystery to add to this list.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What could be more fabulous than mixing food with books? I'm not a dedicated mystery reader, but I'll take home practically any book with food in the title. Some other suggestions are Angie Amalfi's Cooking Up Trouble and Diane Mott Davidson's Dying for Chocolate.

On a related note, I'm interested in any literature that relates to food and coking. I like The Chocolate Lover's Club, although it's not exactly a mystery--more Chick Lit meets dessert. Another real and serious favorite book is Julia Glass' The Whole World Over (the main character is a pastry chef). I'd be interested in reading more about this topic. Now I'm going to settle down and maybe start the Coffee House mysteries and have something delicious to eat.