Have I Read This Before?


I read a lot of books. Between books I read for my book club, audiobooks I listen to in the car and books recommended by friends and family I easily read about 6 books per month and maybe even more. I love books. But every now and then when someone asks me if I’ve read any good books lately I draw a blank. Ummmm…. I’ve read a lot of good books lately but I’m having trouble remembering the titles. Beyond wanting to recommend books to other people, I also want to be able to keep track of all the great books I read every month.

I think other people have this problem too. Friends and library patrons frequently mention how they think they haven’t read a particular title and then pick up the book and read the first chapter only to realize they’ve read the book before. My parents pass on their previously read books to me and a couple of months ago they gave me two copies of the same book! How do you avoid this? Some of the ladies in my book club have giant binders filled with scraps of paper and handwritten notes cataloging all the books they’ve read. But I’m so disorganized this would never work for me. I’d lose the scraps of paper or forget to jot down titles I’ve read. Hey, I might even lose the binder.

Luckily, about a year ago I started using Goodreads, a free online social networking site that enables me to organize my own “bookshelf” of books I’m currently reading, have read and would like to read. There is a lot more I can do with this website, but I primarily use it to keep track of what I read and to review books I’ve read. Another fun thing about this site is it provides me with book recommendations based on the books I’ve previously read. I use it as a tool to find new and exciting authors and to see what others thought of the same books I’ve read. I’m really enjoying my Goodreads account. I look forward to logging in and tracking and reviewing all the books I’ve read. Now when people ask me if I’ve read any good books lately I can direct them to my Goodreads account and they can see for themselves what books I liked and disliked. Check it out and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the real irritations in life is bringing home a new novel, getting comfortable on the sofa, settling a favorite blanket and then realizing-- a page or two into the story--that you've already read this book. And I know binders would never work for me either. But I like the idea of a virtual record. I'm actually going to try it! Speaking of good books, have you read Jeffrey Eugenides' The Marriage Plot? I'm recommending it before I get a chance to forget the title.