I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree


I just finished reading the memoir, I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schindler’s List Survivor by Laura Hillman. I picked the book up because Laura will be speaking at the Bowers Museum on Holocaust Remembrance Day and I am grateful that I did! I was so moved by Laura’s courage and strength.


Reading about the Holocaust can be emotionally difficult, but this book is written at a level that is appropriate for teens and adults. In the book Laura shares her personal journey as a young Jewish girl in Germany during World War II. Not only is it a story of survival during the darkest of times, but it is also a story of hope and young love. Laura and Dick Hillman, a young Polish POW, are two young people trying to support and protect each other in order to survive the nightmare of family loss and Nazi concentration camps. How Laura was able to survive and yet still maintain a positive and hopeful attitude is amazing.


Now I am looking forward to hearing Laura’s inspiring story first hand at the Bowers Museum on Thursday, April 19th at 1:30 pm. For details on her lecture click here.

No comments: