Not So Mysterious Food Writing


Recently I posted about Culinary Mysteries and my love of food writing. Today I realized I ignored those of you who also love food writing, but don’t necessarily enjoy mystery novels. There are so many great non-mystery food writers out there and I wanted to mention some of my favorites.

I have been a fan of Anthony Bourdain since way before his television program, No Reservations. Ever since Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, his funky, funny expose of the world of cooking and restaurants, came out in 2000 I have been an instant fan. Bourdain can be sarcastic and irreverent but he is a serious chef who knows his food. He also knows how to tell as story.




My all time favorite food writer is Ruth Reichl. The first book I read by Reichl was Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table. This book tells the author’s life through food. Funny at times, serious at times this book is a great read. I have recommended it many times and it is always a hit. Try this author and see if you love her as much as I do.

 

How could I write about food writing without mentioning Julia Child? My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud’Homme and Julie and Julia by Julie Powell are both good reads. I read these two books close together and I loved first reading about the real Julia Child and then reading about someone inspired by Julia Child. The women in both books impressed me by their willingness to take on new culinary challenges. I love cooking from scratch, but I have to draw the line somewhere. No cutting down exotic cuts of meat for me, thank you very much!

Another bit of food writing I have to recommend is Barbara Kingsolver’s, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. In this piece of non-fiction, Kingsolver and her family strive to exclusively eat homegrown or locally grown food for one year. In this book, Kingsolver and her family try not only to get closer to the land they live on and the food they eat but also to get closer each other as a family.


Other food writers to try: Michael Pollan and Molly Wizenberg.

Do you have any food writers to recommend?
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all of these books! In particular, I was really moved by Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Mineral, Vegetable. After I read it, I spent the following summer trying to eat locally myself, and I plan to embark on the same culinary adventure this June.

I recently read that Kingsolver and her husband have opened a restaurant celebrating local eating (in Tennessee, I think).

There's another biography of Julia Child that I think is truly fun reading--Appetite for Life.