True crime


I recently had my book club read The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi.  I enjoy reading true crime for the same reason I enjoy watching law and criminal television shows: I like reading about the evidence, the trial, and the psychology behind the criminal. 
I chose The Monster of Florence for my book club knowing that most of them do not read true crime regularly.  I thought this book might also appeal to those who enjoy reading non-fiction and like to learn about other cultures.


This book looks at a series of murders that takes place outside Florence, from the 1960s-1980s.  I was fascinated at how forensic science seems to be treated so differently in Italy.  The legal system is also so different from what we know here in the US.  I learned a lot about Italy too.  For instance, did you know the Italian language wasn’t unified until the 1960s (with the advent of television)?

While this book may be too gory for some readers, I really enjoyed it, and hope you will too.

No comments: