Travel by Numbers


The Dewey Decimal system is always fascinating to me, after all I am a librarian! Travel books are in the Dewey 900s. In this section you can find the Lonely Planet, Frommer's, Rick Steves' and Fodor’s travel guides. (My favorite travel guides are the Lonely Planet books and the Afoot and Afield books.) In this same section you can also find one of my favorite genres, travel memoirs! It is one thing to read about a location, but it is another thing to read about someone experiencing that location.

Here are four travel memoirs I’ve enjoyed that you can find at the library (Dewey number included): 

917.3  John Steinbeck’s classic Travels With Charley: in Search of America. Steinbeck hits the road with his poodle, Charley and documents his travels in this great example of travel writing. As a dog lover and a Steinbeck lover, this book is one of my all-time favorites.

917.98045  Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I recommend both the book and the movie, but I love the book more. I also recommend all of Jon Krakauer’s other books.

910.4  Honeymoon With My Brother by Franz Wisner. With a title like this how could you not check it out?


Pick up a copy of The Best American Travel Writing 2011 to get an overview of travel writing and discover new travel memoirs you might like to read.

More Books I Haven’t Read But Would Like To:

The Year of the Goat: 40,000 miles and the Quest for the Perfect Cheese by Margaret Hathaway (917.30493)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalacian Trail by Bill Bryson (917. 40443)

One last book on my to read list doesn’t exactly count on this list since it is shelved with the biographies, but it still deserves a spot on this list and on my travel to-read list. The book is Cheryl Strayed’s Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. 






Please comment if you have enjoyed any of the books I’ve mentioned or if you have any travel memoirs you’d like to add to this list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the year of the goat! And I think anyone who lines food--especially goat chest--and travel writing will like it. It's a quirky, romantic memoir about a couple who decide to make goat rearing their destiny.

Another interesting food memoir is Plenty. Readers who like Krakauer will probably also like a book called The Wild Trees (not by Krakauer) about people who climb and travel in the tops of redwoods. Again quirky, but lyrical and intriguing.