Good Books- Bad Covers!


I’ll be honest; I judge books by their covers. I can’t help it! But sometimes a book comes out and gets such rave reviews that I have to read it in spite of a sad cover. And of course, there are some really great books I would have totally missed had I not heard how wonderful they were. I feel so bad for these poor guys. Of course, it’s just my opinion, but these are a few teen books that deserved so much more from their covers:


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor- Okay, I admit this cover isn’t terrible. But it has kind of a cheesy, poorly “photoshopped” quality to it. However the story is amazing. Karou is a seventeen-year-old art student living in Prague until her inhuman parents send her to fetch teeth for devilish reasons even she does not understand. This book combines elements of mystery, fantasy, and romance together in a beautifully written novel that should have been given an equally beautiful cover. Older Teens.

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt- I didn’t even understand what this picture on this cover was until I read the book and realized that it’s supposed to be a profile of a kid and Shakespeare looking at each other! Don’t worry; the story is much easier to understand. It’s the 1960s and Holling Hoodhood gets stuck spending Wednesday afternoons at school with his teacher, Mrs. Baker, who loves talking about Shakespeare. It’s torture at first, but that soon changes as Holling sees how cool Mrs. Baker is. This is a surprisingly funny book that is immensely enjoyable. So don’t pass it up!  Younger Teens.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- Is this the most boring cover ever?? Possibly. I can’t stand it because there is absolutely nothing boring about this book. In fact, it’s like being on a roller coaster of emotion in this story about a terminally ill cancer patient and the boy she meets at her support group. Because of her diagnosis, Hazel has to face life’s biggest questions at a very young age. But she’s still a teenager in love with all of the wit and attitude that any young person would bring to the story. This is an incredible book and will touch even the most stoic of readers.  Older Teens.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexi- And the award for the biggest Epic Fail for a cover goes to…this book! I can’t even put into words how much I loathe this cover. (The title doesn’t really help either). But I promise you that this is a great book. I truly loved it. Arnold Spirit is a teenager who only knows life on his exceedingly poor Indian Reservation. But when he switches to a school off of the Reservation, he learns a lot about what his life could be. In spite of a lot of heavy subjects, this is a very entertaining and humorous book. Plus, it has quirky little drawings throughout. You will enjoy it. Just a heads up: in spite of how it was marketed, this is not a book for children. Younger/Older Teens.

No comments: