The Miseducation of Cameron Post


When Cameron Post’s parents are killed in a car accident, Cameron’s aunt and grandmother move to Montana to take over as her caretakers. Set in the early 1990s, the book evokes the essence of the time period. 

The music, the clothes, the teen lifestyles depicted in the book are all spot on. I especially like how the Montana landscape is a character itself, Cameron’s experiences unfold with Montana snow and tumbleweeds as a backdrop. At almost 500 pages the book is quite a long read, but I didn’t feel like there was anything excessive or unnecessary included in these pages. To me, the author placed every scene and nuance for a reason and as a reader I appreciated it all. An interesting topic and complex realistic characters make this a good book, but absorbing writing and a compelling main character make this a great book. I appreciated Cameron’s sarcastic sense of humor; she is a smart and relatable protagonist. This book is both a coming of age story and a coming out story. Given numerous great reviews and nominated as finalist for various book awards, this is emily m. danforth’s first and only book and I can only hope she will write more great books in the future. I recommend The Miseducation of Cameron Post for older teens and adults.

No comments: